SHERIFF GARY CUTLER
A native Texan, Sheriff Gary Cutler was raised in the small community of Hutchins and remains a lifelong Texan. After graduating from Sam Houston State University with a degree in Criminal Justice, he settled in Austin where he met his wife, his partner of over 35 years. Believing in the values of small town living, Sheriff Cutler and his wife moved to Buda with their two sons in 1987. They currently reside in Driftwood and continue to love the peace and quiet of the country.
Sheriff Cutler has been devoted to law enforcement in the central Texas area spending over twenty-six years with the Travis County Sheriff’s Office, three years with the Williamson County Sheriff’s Office, and over six years as a State Police Officer with the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission. He has over 9 years supervision and management experience.
Married in 1974. They have two sons.
1973 - Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice (Sam Houston State University)
Positions held during his law enforcement career
- Sheriff Cutler began his career in law enforcement with Travis County in 1974 retiring in 2000
- He worked with Williamson County from 2001-2004
- He worked with Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission (TABC) from 2004-2010
- He began serving the citizens of Hays County as Sheriff in 2010
Professional Certifications/Specialized Training:
- Sheriff Cutler holds a Master Peace Officer certification awarded in 1996, the highest-level certification afforded to a peace officer.
- He is also a TCLEOSE Instructor.
- Over 4500 TCLEOSE training hours
During his career, he received the following career recognitions:
1979 - KVET Appreciation Award for Outstanding Service
1984 - The Hundred Club of Austin- Outstanding Service as a Peace Officer
1989 - Meritorious Conduct Award, Travis County
1990 - East Austin Optimist Club- Law Enforcement Appreciation
1991 - VFW Law Enforcement Appreciation
1999 - Commissioners Court 25 Years’ Service Award, Travis County
2000 - VFW Law Enforcement Award
2001 - Meritorious Conduct Award, Williamson County
**He has received over 50 Letters of Commendation during his career
Sheriff Cutler enjoys outdoor pursuits including hunting, fishing and snow skiing. He has also become an avid participant in “working out” frequently.