The general eligibility requirements to be a candidate for a public elective office in Texas are that a person must:
- be a United States citizen;
- be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election;
- have not been determined mentally incompetent by a final judgment of a court;
- have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities;
- have resided continuously in the state for 12 months and in the territory from which the office is elected for 6 months immediately preceding a date which varies according to the candidate’s status;
- satisfy any other eligibility requirements prescribed by law for the office.
These requirements do not apply to an office for which the federal or state constitution or a statute outside the Texas Election Code prescribes exclusive eligibility requirements (Texas Election Code Ann. §141.001 [Vernon 1986]).
Procedures for Filing
In order to become a candidate with a major political party, one must file an application with the county or state party chair and pay a filing fee (ID §§ 172.022, 172.024). A candidate also has the option of filing a petition in lieu of the filing fee (ID § 172.025). The application and petition forms are available through your local party officials, the Secretary of State, or the Hays County Elections Administrator’s office.
Please contact the state chair of the Democratic, Libertarian, or Republican Party for information on party rules. State party chair addresses are as follows:
updated 12 April 2018
Financial Disclosure Requirements
The Texas Election Code requires each candidate to file a designation of campaign treasurer and periodic sworn statements of their contributions and expenditures with the appropriate official to satisfy financial disclosure requirements. For information on financial disclosure laws, visit the Texas Ethics Commission at www.ethics.state.tx.us or via one of the following methods:
|Phone: (512) 463-5800
||TDD: (800) 735-2989
|Fax (disclosure filing): (512) 463-8808
201 East 14th St., 10th Floor
Austin, TX 78701
P. O. Box 12070
Austin, TX 78711-2070