Independent & Write-In Candidates:

You may have your name placed on the General Election ballot as an independent candidate if you are not affiliated with a political party. If you vote in a party's Primary Elections or participate in a party's convention, you thereby affiliate with the party. File Declaration of Intent to run as an Independent Candidate with the Hays County Judge for a county office. Check with the Election Administrator's office for the required filing dates. After the Primary Election, collect signatures from registered voters who support your application for a place on the General Election ballot. The signers must be registered voters who have not participated in the General Primary Election or the Runoff Primary Election of a party that has nominated, at either election, a candidate for the office you seek. Contact the Hays County Elections Administrator's office concerning the number of signatures required and the filing date.

Write-In Candidates:

If you plan to be a write-in candidate for a Hays County office in the General Election, file a Declaration of Write-In Candidacy with the Hays County Judge. Contact the Hays County elections Administrator's office for the filing dates. Either a filing fee must accompany your declaration or a nominating petition signed by a certain number of qualified voters. Write-In candidates are not permitted in Primary Elections, except for the party office of county chair or precinct chair. For the party office of precinct chair, you must now file a Declaration of Write-In Candidacy. However, if no candidate's name is to be placed on the ballot or the list of write-in candidates for the office of precinct chair, write-in votes may be cast and counted for the office in the regular manner (i.e., without filing a declaration).


Before becoming a candidate for a county office, you are urged to contact the Elections Administrator for information on the number of signatures required on your petition and to obtain forms you will need for this filing and forms for financial filing. (You may contact the Elections Administrator at 512-393-7310, 712 South Stagecoach Trail Ste 1045, San Marcos, Texas, 78666-7751 or by e-mail at