Voter Registration - Frequently Asked Questions

Voter Registration is the first step to participation in a Democratic system of government. Fair elections conducted with impartiality and integrity are the foundation of a democracy and good government.


Question. How do I contact your office?

Answer. The telephone number for the Hays County Election Administrator's Office is (512) 393-7310. We are located at the Hays County Government Center:

712 South Stagecoach Trail
Suite 1012
San Marcos, TX 78666-5999

Our email is and our website is  Our fax number is (512) 878-6699

Back to top

Question. Who is eligible to register to vote in Hays County elections?


  • be a United States citizen;
  • be a resident of Hays County
  • be 18 years old (you may register at 17years and 10 months of age);
  • not be a convicted felon (unless your sentence is completed, including any probation or parole);
  • not be declared mentally incapacitated by a final judgment of a court

You will remain registered as long as you remain eligible and notify us of address changes. You may go to to check the status of your voter registration .

Back to top

Question. Where can I get a voter registration application?

Answer. Voter Registration Applications are available at our office, other county offices, libraries, post offices, Texas Department of Public Safety offices and Texas Department of Human Services. Additionally, you may obtain an application by calling us at (512) 393-7310 or click here to get an application on-line.

Back to top

Question. How soon before an election can I register and be able to vote?

Answer. You may register to vote any time; however, your application must be submitted 30 days before an election for you to be eligible to vote in that election.
Complete a postage-free post card application and mail it, or take it in person to the Hays County Elections office.
You must be at least 17 years and ten months of age on the date your application is submitted.
If any of the information on the application is incomplete, you will be notified and required to send a second application. The second application must be received by the Hays County Election Administrator within 10 days.

Back to top

Question. After I have registered, when will I receive my Voter Registration Certificate?

Answer. You will receive a Voter Registration Certificate within 30 days. Check your certificate to make sure all information is correct. If there is a mistake, immediately make corrections and return the certificate to the registrar. Present your certificate at the Hays County polling place on election day. You will receive a new color-coded certificate every two years.

Back to top

Question. What do I do if I have changed my address, but still live in Hays County?

Promptly notify the Hays County Election Administrator in writing of your new address by:
      1. correcting the information on your current voter registration certificate and returning it to the voter registrar; or
      2. completing a voter registration application and check the box for "change"; or
      3. making voter registration address changes when you update your drivers license at D.P.S.
You will receive a new, corrected certificate.
You will be able to vote in your new precinct 30 days after your notice has been received.
You must notify the Hays County Election Administrator of your change of address as soon as possible.
Meanwhile: You may vote a full ballot in your former precinct if your registration has not become effective in your new precinct. You will be required to complete a Statement of Residence form before voting.

Back to top

Question. What if I move to another county?

Answer. You must re-register. Complete an application and mail it or take it in person to the voter registrar of your new county.
You will be registered 30 days after your application is submitted.
You will receive a new certificate.
You may be eligible to vote a limited ballot in your new county of residence after moving if:
      1. you were qualified to vote in your former county at the time you moved; and
      2. your registration in the new county is not yet effective.
If you vote a limited ballot, you may vote on all statewide offices and propositions and for all district offices which are common to your new and former counties of residence.
You must apply for a limited ballot and vote by personal appearance with the early voting clerk conducting the election in your new county during the early voting period which generally begins on the 17th day and ends on the 4th day before an election, or by mail if you are already eligible to vote by mail.

Back to top

Question. My name has changed. Can I still vote?

Answer. You may continue to vote. Promptly notify the Election Administrator in writing of the name change following the same steps for change of address. You will receive a new, corrected certificate within 30 days.

Back to top

Question. What does the term "suspense" mean on a voter's record?

Answer. Pursuant to Sec. 13.146(b) of the Election Code, the term "suspense" is used to designate those voters for whom the Hays County Election Administrator does not have a current address. A voter with this designation will be removed from the suspense list once that person has advised the Hays County Election Administrator of his or her new address. This new address is important, not only so that our records will be accurate, but also so that the voter is voting in the elections where he or she resides.

Back to top

Question. What if I lose my voter registration card?

Answer. Notify the Election Administrator's office in writing and you will be issued a replacement certificate. You may vote without your certificate by presenting proof of identity at the polling place and signing an affidavit.

Back to top

Question. Where do I vote?

Answer.You will need to know your voting precinct number to be able to find which polling place you should vote at.  Your voting precinct number appears next to your birth date on your voter registration certificate.  Click HERE for election day polling locations. Local newspapers also list polling locations. You can also call the Hays County Election Administration office at (512) 393-7310.

Back to top

Question. What are the requirements to vote by mail?

Answer. You may apply for a ballot by mail if you:
     1. will be away from Hays County on Election Day and during early voting;
     2. are disabled;
     3. are 65 years of age or older on Election Day; or
     4. are confined in jail.
Click HERE to download an application for Ballot by Mail, or for more information you may call the Election Administration office at (512) 393-7310. For specific information about special voting procedures available for members of the military and U.S. citizens overseas, go to:

Back to top

Question. What is early voting?

Answer. Early voting is really convenience voting. Any registered voter may vote at any early voting location. For more general information on early voting and ballot by mail click HERE.

Back to top

Question. If I am in college, should I register in my hometown or in my college town?

Answer. Either - whichever you consider your permanent residence. If you are registered in your hometown and will not be in that county Election Day and during early voting, you may request an Application for Ballot by Mail.

Back to top

Question. What if I need assistance at the polls?

Answer. All polling locations are handicapped accessible. Our new eSlate voting system is fully accessible and has an audio feature which allows any voter to listen to the ballot. You are also entitled to receive assistance if you cannot read or write, or have a physical disability that prevents you from reading or marking the ballot.

Tell the election official that you need help to vote. You do not have to provide proof of your disability.
You MAY be assisted by:

  • any person of your choice; or
  • one election worker during early voting; or
  • two election workers on Election Day

You may NOT be assisted by:

  • your employer; or
  • an agent of your employer; or
  • an officer or agent of your union

The person assisting you must read you the entire ballot, unless you ask to have only parts of the ballot read.
The person assisting you must take an oath that he or she will not try to influence your vote and will mark your ballot as you direct.
If you choose to be assisted by polling place officials, a poll watcher and/or state election inspector present in the polling place may observe the voting process to be sure that the ballot has been marked as you wanted.
If you ask to be assisted by a person of your choosing, no one else may watch you vote.

It is illegal for a person assisting you to:

  • mark your ballot in a way other than the way you have asked; or
  • tell anyone how you voted; or
  • try to influence your vote;

Interpreters at the polls
If you cannot speak English, or if you communicate only with sign language, you may use an interpreter to help you communicate with election officials. You may select any registered voter of your county to be your interpreter. If you cannot read the ballot, your interpreter may translate the ballot for you in the voting booth, after taking the Assistant Oath.

Curbside voting
If you are unable to physically enter the polling place, you may ask that an election officer bring an eSlate (electronic voting device) to you at the entrance to the polling place or to a car at curbside. After you vote on the eSlate, give it to the election officer who will re-connect it to the Judges Booth Controller and your vote will be counted.

TIP: If you plan to go alone to vote curbside, it is wise to call ahead so election officials will expect you.

Back to top