Commissioners Court Proclaims Kyle Railroad Depot and Heritage Center Week in Hays County
Hays County Courthouse, San Marcos, TX – Recognizing the hard work and funds that volunteers and donors provided to restore the 1917 Kyle Railroad Train Depot, and to celebrate its opening as a tourism and educational site, the Hays County Commissioners Court has proclaimed the week of September 19-25 as Kyle Railroad Depot and Heritage Center Week.
Beginning September 25, the Depot and Center will be open to the public, providing a glimpse into Kyle and train travel in the early 1920s. The Hays County Historical Commission led the drive to restore the building and received generous donations from the Burdine-Johnson Foundation, the Chuck Nash Family and others, along with support from the City of Kyle and Hays County. The Center includes a staged station master’s office, 500-pound bales of cotton and a short documentary on the founding of Kyle. It is the only historic depot in Hays County on its original site.
The depot was built by the International & Great Northern Railroad in 1880 as a water stop for its steam engines between Austin and San Marcos. At the time, there was no “Kyle” there, just open land and ranches, and a one-day land auction created the town in just that one day.
For a detailed look at the history of the depot and its effect on the City of Kyle and Hays County, visit the depot and heritage center at 100 N. Front Street, currently open Sundays from 1-5 p.m. Additional information is at http://www.cityofkyle.com/community/historic-train-depot or call 512-262-1188.
Left to right: Precinct 2 Commissioner Mark Jones, Precinct 1 Commissioner Debbie Gonzales Ingalsbe, County Judge Bert Cobb, M.D., Hays County Historical Commission’s Linda Coker, Kate Johnson, chairman of the Hays County Historical Commission, Jo Landon, Trish Randow, and Richard Kidd, Precinct 3 Commissioner Will Conley and Precinct 4 Commissioner Ray Whisenant.